Tuesday, January 13, 2009


Mothers Rebekah Lodge Friendship Quilt

This quilt is special to me because it was given to Mother many years ago but the Rebekah Lodge Order that she belonged to and was active in for so many years. All the ladies made a block and they put their name on the block. It is really neat to look at those names and remember back to the ladies. I of course knew most all of them.

The Rebekah Lodge
I could not write about mother without putting something in about the Lodge where she enjoyed many years Nellie Juanita (Zinn) McConnell was a long standing member of the Rebekah Lodge in both Lone Wolf, Oklahoma Lodge number 126 as well as Hobart, Oklahoma Lodge number 78. In the span of these forty two (42) years mother served as Nobel Grand Several times. She served in 1950 and 1955 in Lone Wolf also three times at Hobart Lodge, those years being 1972, 1978 and 1981. She was still a active member at the time of her death in October of 1989. These are only some of the dates that I was able to verify and I do believe there are other years that she served in this capacity of Nobel Grand. From what research I have done I think this is the same as the president of the club or lodge. I know that Mother truly enjoyed being a member of the Rebekah Lodge.
For many years I can remember as a child that mother would go to Lodge meetings every Monday night. These meetings were held at the Lodge Hall that was upstairs above Hartsons Drug Store. I can remember us kids going to the movie on Monday nights while mother was at Lodge Meetings. The movie theater was across the street from where she was meeting. Mother joined on June 9, 1947 and was a member there for many years until May 11th of 1970 when the Lone Wolf Lodge members joined with the Hobart Lodge. There were not many members that could climb the stairs to the meeting hall when they were getting older and the membership fell off. It was at that time that Mother and several others went to Hobart. Mother was an active member in Hobart until the time of her death.
The Hobart Rebekah Lodge # 78 was instituted on April 26, 1902 with a membership of 75 listed on the Charter. In the year 1980 not to much had changed because there were just over 100 member. With the invention of television and even cars since the existence of the Rebekah Lodge they have held there own. In the year of 1980 the youngest member was 22 years old and the oldest being 91 years of age. Rebekahs are constantly "Striving to win the war of Adversity: and they lend their talents, time and money to the promotion of homes for the elderly, scholarships for excelling students, sending delegated to visit the United Nations in Session. The only Fraternal Order to be able to do this. Several students from this local district have made this trip. Eye Research - Support a Chair at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD. For eye research. Diabetes research, Aid as leaders in March of Dimes campaign along with research in Drug Abuse and Youth Center.
Mother always thought that they did good works to help people in need. She gave many hours to this cause. Many of Mothers friends belong to the Rebekah Lodge as well. Mother knew everything there was to know about the Rebekah’s and she took pride in being a long term in good standing member of both the Lodge in Lone Wolf and later the one in Hobart. She was driving herself and some of her friends to Hobart every week to meetings up until the time she had her stroke.
(This is the Rebekah creed)
I AM A REBEKAH:
I believe in the Fatherhood of God, the Brotherhood of man, and the
Sisterhood of woman. I believe in the watch-words of our Order - Friendship,
Love and Truth. Friendship - is like a golden chain that ties our hearts together.
Love - is one of our most precious gifts, the more you give,
the more you receive. Truth - is the standard by which we value
people. It is the foundation of our society.
I believe that my main concern should be my God, my family and my friends.
Then I should reach out to my community and
the World, for in God's eyes we are all brothers and sisters.
I AM A REBEKAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment